5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2020 3:24 AM by djain

Content API loading very slowly

satyam@spglobal.com Novice

Hi Team John Reynolds Gopi Gorantala, Jens Goldhammer, Xhevair "Jev" Maskuli,

The content API seems to be loading very slowly in our instance. The simple content API below is taking ~ 10s to load:

https://../api/core/v3/contents

And we are using the modified version of it below on our homepage in one of our custom tiles and that is taking almost 20-30s to load while earlier it used to load with 3-5s:

https://.../api/core/v3/contents?filter=type(post,document,file,discussion,poll,video,event,idea,)&filter=tag(..)&fields=tags,likeCount,replyCount,subject,published,content,parent,contentImages,content.text,parentPlace.resources,parentPlace.name,parentPlace.html,author.resources,author.displayName,resources&abridged=true&count=100&sort=dateCreatedDesc

Are you aware of something that has changed? We recently moved to 3000.8.0.0. Is it because of that, did any other customers report that. Any insights will be very helpful.

P.S - The tags and URL of our instance are masked.

Thanks,

Satyam.

• Re: Content API loading very slowly
          mattj18 Jive SME

I tested out the contents  endpoint on our instance and it took 4.76 seconds to load results the first time. I did omit the filter tag portion. Consecutive calls took a little over 2 seconds to return results. My guess is that it was caching the results of the endpoint. Since you are querying for 100 results, that is why it is taking a long time to load. I recommend loading fewer results. You should not be displaying 100 results at a time.

I tried another variation of your endpoint but added a search filter to the end filter=search(hello). That call took 58 seconds to return results.

/api/core/v3/contents?filter=type(post,document,file,discussion,poll,video,event,idea,)&fields=tags,likeCount,replyCount,subject,published,content,parent,contentImages,content.text,parentPlace.resources,parentPlace.name,parentPlace.html,author.resources,author.displayName,resources&abridged=true&count=100&filter=search(hello)

Hi Matt Johnson,

Thanks for the response. While I would agree that fewer results is a best practice, that's actually not the underlying issue here. If the API takes 20+ seconds to load 100 records based on a few tags surely that's not performing the way it should be, since its 100 and not 1000 or 10000.

And this actually used to load within 5 seconds at max till just a few days ago and that's what is puzzling because nothing has changed, the tags are the same and so is the API call. The only thing we can probably attribute to is that we moved to 3000.8.0.0 over the weekend. So wanted to know if something was changed in the system. Also, just curious if you are also on the same instance version?

Thanks,

Satyam.

mattj18 Jive SME

Yes, I am also on Cloud 3000.8.0.0. I was just sharing my experience with the endpoints. I will let Aurea comment if they made any specific changes that would affect this. The AMIs we are hosted on may have different specs depending on the overall size of each of our Jive Instance.

Did you try retesting the timings after a couple days? I'm curious to test a theory about caching the results of the UI call. In a smart application, the UI will notice if a backend endpoint is repeatedly called with the same parameters. Instead of querying the database each time, it will instead cache the results. The very first calls will take a longer time to load. However, the application will eventually learn that it is a common call and save the results. The UI will still requery every X amount of time to look for new results that may have changed. It does not want to keep using old data.

Also, how about adding 5 or 6 heavy hitting tags which has like at least 100s of content each and then trying with 25 or 100 as the result count and then comparing the load times might give a better idea.

Thanks,

Satyam.