5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 12:25 PM by XMaskuli

How do you simplify user preferences for notifications?

cmcleod@thorntontomasetti.com

Previously I posted in Jive Developers asking if there were a way toGet and modify Inbox Notification preferences via API.  More generally, is there a way you have found to streamline and simplify notification preferences for your users?  We struggle with explaining the differences of the different digests to users (Is the Inbox Stream Updates email summary bad for everyone?) and would love to set some defaults and have them read only.  Thoughts? Ideas?

Elizabeth Uva, Jonathan Block

• Re: How do you simplify user preferences for notifications?
          tmaurer

While we struggle with this as well, I don't feel like there is a "one size fits all" approach. We of course have defaults, but they often don't work for people.

What I would really appreciate, Xhevair "Jev" Maskuli, is the ability as a sysadmin to be able to SEE the preferences for specific users. So then when people report problems, I don't have to ask them for a screenshot. It takes extra time, and not everyone wants to bother taking the time.

Also would be good to have a macro picture to know:

• How many people have changed their default email prefs
          • What the makeup is for current prefs, so we could evaluate whether it was worth changing default values
          1 person found this helpful
              Stuart McIntyre

Agree strongly with all of your comments, Tracy.

I would also like a way to change default values for current users as well as those added in the future.

E.g. in one community that I worked with we realised that we had launched with the setting for alerts disabled by default, meaning that users did not get emails for group invites etc. In that situation, there is no way to go back and re-enable this for all users - the only option was to change the default for new users (a small delta on the entire community membership) and to try to communicate with users how and why to change this for themselves.

tmaurer

And Xhevair "Jev" Maskuli - though there are absolutely some "big things" your customers would like to see, you'll have noticed from recent conversations that there are a bunch of smallish tweaks like this that probably aren't that difficult to deliver, and which would delight end users and admins alike.

To use a car analogy, over the years I've found that what makes me satisfied with a car purchase is less often the big new features (like in-car nav), and more often the little trim options (like a built-in sunglasses holder, the right sized cupholder, plentiful front row storage). Yes, the big things bring in new customers. But the little things keep existing customers. And since the cost of new customer acquisition is so high, why not focus on customer retention.

1 person found this helpful